<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Out of Hibernation 

Well I think I maybe should have kept my body in a warm place. So the first race of the season, Regina Police Services ½ Marathon, can be summed up with a Scotology equation. Snow + Rain x -7 Windchill = 16 minute decrease of speed & distance.

Yes woke up Sunday morning to Snow and 35km winds and a lovely 2 degrees. I thought Ok….1:50 is out of the question but still thought under 2 hours is possible. All was well until 10km. My muscles just started getting tighter and tighter after 10km and I basically froze up. I was basically cold. Cardio was fine but my hamstrings would just not let me push hard. So the result was a 2:06 and I must admit I was disappointed but happy that I pushed on. I learned that I am not a cold weather runner and that ever race is completely different.

This also has motivated me more that ever to train and diet. Next race of the same distance is in 5 weeks and I will try again. Everyone must know their limitations and being frustrated and disappointed is pointless. I just sucked it up the last 7km in the wind and enjoyed that satisfaction that I ran 21.1km today. That is why we train in every weather condition because you have no idea what it will be like race day. Just because it was a day sent from heaven the day before doesn’t mean that hell will usher in the next day.

Thanks to everyone at the finish line and it was of no surprise that there were way more runners than spectators.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?