<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 20, 2005

100 years 

Want to hear something scary? Well recently I leared that the human life expectancy for children under 5 years will decreased. Yes that means the next generation will not live as long as me. Why you ask. Well science and technology has developed health care system that will eliminate many infections, viruses and diseases that ultimately kill people. Unfortunately this same science and technology has take most of the physical activity out of our life with machines and created sedentary entertainment. Yes instead of playing hockey or football outside kids are waiting of the next version on EA Sports for their Playstation.

I find this frightening actually. Their risk of heart disease and diabetes is higher than mine not because of genetics but because of lifestyle. Everyone says we have an obesity epidemic…wait we don’t. We have a problem of inactivity and poor nutrition. We have become lazier today about walking anywhere or thinking society is lurking so we need to drive our children everywhere instead of letting them ride their bike. Nothing wrong with that but the lifestyle is changing and for the first time in history our expected life span is decreasing. Ok try this, you are hungry and a kid. You have a few bucks in your pocket. No longer are their neighborhood grocery stores at the corner. It has been replaced by a Tim Horton’s and a 7 Eleven. So instead of buying something nutritious they buy junk food which has become cheap and easily accessible. Can’t blame them, I fall into this category too because it is a societal change.

Your health is no longer something a Doctor can control or prescribe. I was educated a long ago that the best treatment of any condition is exercise and water. I mean if you exercise more and drink more water it has a drastic effects on the regular person. Just think how much better you would feel.

I guess me living to 100 might happen but this is not the case for my new nephew anymore. I find this very interesting and though I might share.

Hey I told you the post would be better once I was able to type.

Oh yeah want to experience real pain then go to spin class and start sweating with the smell of fresh cookies being baked. No one can fight that urge.

Comments:
Great to hear science and technology have done great things for health care.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?